Monday, March 15, 2010

The invisible line

Yes, lots have been written and re-written about this. Poems to scripts to songs to letters to blogs. But the way I see it, there is no way to perfectly describe this amorphous entity – the invisible line that separates familiarity from concern. Ok, I am sure this line I just wrote hasn’t made much sense to you as much as it dint to me. But I will try and explain.
How many times have u felt so intimate with a person, apart from family, and you almost said something personal to them, but still did not. Havent you been there? Isn’t it a throat clenching situation? I tried analysing it and I think its because in spite of the liberty you share with them, you don’t really know how much this person feels for you. It is that insecurity that holds you back. You are scared that your emotional liberty would be misunderstood for undue license and that is not a very pleasant feeling at all. Atleast for me and some people I know expressing one’s true feeling is an Achilles heel. I think its very cheesy and also to be frank, I feel a wee bit embarrassed too. (It was that bad in my interaction with my wife too, which now I think was the extreme, but now which I have come closer to good.  Love!) But I also know that there are points in time when one should say those lines from the heart, when its being expected so much from them. Its just not enough to keep those feelings inside, with all its purity. You should deliver it. I belonged to the school of thought that believed that if someone really loves/knows you, he/she would understand you and your feelings without you having to say it. By their actions, their gestures, their subtle hints. But then also, not many are so sure of such signs, because it’s not definite, it can’t be measured, and it is not out there – like your words! Bible says and I quote, “words can give and take life”. And I can’t agree more today.
But all said and done, when does one know what is the limit to keep with a good friend, a dear acquaintance. Should there be a boundary, should be there a guard? I think having a guard doesn’t allow you to be your true self and it would definitely be fake, and there is a good chance that no one but you know it, but then again – how much worth is it? And if you cross that line with conviction, you would stand the risk of offending the other person which would again affect your cordial relation. Relationships are so complicated right? No matter how much we try to convince ourselves, no body can give a NO answer with perfect conviction. Such are the matters of the heart. So amorphous that one can’t really palpate it, so vague that one can’t measure it, so invisible that one can’t even see it.
But taking that risk for the person you care about – it’s worth it. Isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment