Thursday, August 18, 2011

Friendship Day. 2011.

A Friendship Day just passed by. So they say. As much as I wasn't aware that it had come, I dont care that its gone.

For people who know me that would be a shocker. The gone year, 2010, I had written something about this - Friendship day is here again, where I had mentioned about that lump in my throat when I thought about its significance, about the wrist bands, etc etc. And then, there is 2011.

How things change for me. And for that matter, how it changes for everyone. And keeping that point as the locus, 1 year is a long time I guess, to change perceptions on various topics. But also less, compared to your thoughts on the same for nearly 27 years as your opponent. Well, the truth is that, my perspectives have changed and I am happy that it finally did.

In college, I used to get bands for my friends, pack secret gifts, text them a note/poem that I'd have written, make a painting for them in paper or glass, given them a surprise visit or maybe send some flowers or cookies. I use to do all that I could afford to do. I wouldnt have the money to gift everyone something, but that is where I used poems/texts/paintings. I was a man of gifts. I love choosing gifts for my friends. I basically appreciate my own thoughtfulness in matters of the heart. Hahaha. My friends on the other hand knew my obsession with gifts and they would choose to go get me gifts voluntarily than to be emotionally blackmailed into doing the same, if they didn't. Well, that was me. Now, I think it was stupid, but then, it was fun, because even after forcing a few friends to get me something, I'd text them a thank you message appreciating their love and how touched I was by the 'surprise gift'. Hideous!

Today, more than 80% in that list is just someone with whom I had good memories with. The remaining either dont talk to me anymore for reasons unknown to them also, talk to me but have got so busy with their own lives that the gift-story became a thing of the past, go ahead and get engaged/married and dont even inform me or, they stick by as a well-wisher or good friend - too mature for the band episodes to ever repeat.

And surprisingly, nothing, nothing of this matters to me too anymore. And maybe I have become the same 'mature' they were at a point, and become 'too busy with my own life' to rejoice in that blissful feeling. Or it could be that my wife and I had been through so much in the past few months, with just the company of our family and two friends, that we made a shell that our friends couldnt penetrate into. So its not anybody's fault, its just reality.

Reality isnt always the best of things, but it sure is the only real thing. Today, I know who that friend of mine is, who'd be there for me no matter what. Yet, with or without him, I still have my wife - my best friend, my guide. So I would never actually die out of friends, and for the same reason, no matter how much I ignore voluntarily or otherwise, I will always have a reason to celebrate Friendship Day whenever I want to. And that is a good thing too.

With that, Belated Friends Day.
Thats my BESTEST friend, my BFF - right there in the pic with me.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Awesome!
    Nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write!!! In total compliance wit this post...at some points in life have had similar thoughts at random times...couldn't agree more wit u!!

    ReplyDelete