Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dil tho baccha hai ji


For those who came in late, Dil tho baccha hai ji is a song from the Hindi movie Ishqiya, which is delicious movie about the life of 3 dacoits. It means, heart is juvenile.
Yesterday, I watched two Hindi flicks, back to back : Rocket Singh and Chance pe Dance. Both these movies portray the life of a person who is struggling to make a place for him in the busy tramp of the world. And in both the movies I discovered that throughout the movie I was either hoping that their big-plans work out for them, or feeling bad when something un-toward happened, or exalting when they hit the bull’s eye. I guess that the directorial motive of any movie maker is to tap this particular aspect from his audience – correlation. I guess if one can relate to the character or the set at any point, then the target is achieved.
But on deeper inspection of many movies that have done really well in the past, be it Indian movies, or on the International front, it has always exalted the victory of a person, a group, or a nation over something ill. This particular aspect can be augmented with graphics and mystery and fantasy, but the core issue that is addressed is this. And deep inside this framework of ours, I guess we all are genetically programmed for peace. I know this sounds absurd, but I will try and explain.
The examples are many, but the feeling, the high we get when the hero goes ahead and does the unexpected brings us close to our innermost yearning, our deepest desire – peace, love. In spite of so many different costumes we wear on a daily basis, isn’t this that we all are looking for? I cannot see a single person, or in the mirror, who doesn’t wish that his boss died of an infarction, or the car of your fierce competitor crashes onto a tree, or that your fellow super snobby and arrogant classmate who could top the class –would fail, fall ill, miss his bus, be caught copying when he wasn’t or at least a bee sting him –in the eye! Well, I’ve done a lot of that. But that never happened. What really happened was that a friend skid from the terrace after a roof-top party and died a few days before a university exam. And I saw it. A glimpse. A sight I wouldn’t forget forever. Never. Ever. It left me shattered, for the misunderstandings we had before we had stopped talking to each other a year before this day when he breathed his last. Very many times I wished that I could rewind time and go back into time so that I could say sorry for things I would not have done, patch up things over a mug of beer, or hear Floyd while sitting in the balcony staring at the stars. I wonder if anyone would have wished something so bad for him. And if they did, why did they? But there are so many questions for which we really cant find any answer to, right? No matter how much we try!! And they are best left like that. Gosh! I deviated so much from what I was trying to tell about my analysis of the psyche.
Yes, deep inside we all want to see people happy. We want to see ourselves feeling happy just because they are. And it’s really not that hard. It’s hard to try, but once you are there, it’s so easy to be doing that. As the prophets have said, if u seek – you will find, even in chaos! The movies try and focus on this particular feature about us, a feature that which isn’t used much, that which we don’t know much about in spite of it being paramount quintessence. And just by discovering it you can see yourself so much more in equilibrium. You would disagree with me when I say that many times than one, our miseries have more to do with other’s victories than our own failures. So the next time you are forced to think something ill for someone, do not forget that that someone is nothing to you, but everything to some other. The way I do is, I just say God, Bless them! And its really worked for me, and I am sure it will for you too.
Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of that friend of mine, and I survived it. Again. I feel that the sky falls onto my head every year on this day. I run from everything that could make my mind even minutely remember the 2 years of thick friendship I shared with him in college, that which I had really cherished and that really kept me going, before he left the all of us. I know that this year it was a lot better for my heart than the years before, and I know that the ache would diminish in the days to come, but the part of myself that died with him long back, I really don’t know if it would breathe. I even don’t know if I want it to.
Our hearts and mind are essentially very pure, very delicate, with lots of good things and thoughts and blessings to offer. We should listen to it more.
Peace.
Dil tho baccha hai ji.

No comments:

Post a Comment